Saturday, June 27, 2009

Borders had a sale...


I went into Borders a few days ago looking for a book for my dad. Of course, whenever I go to Borders I must consider the fact that I'll probably buy something. Just usually not 12 somethings. While perusing the bargain book section, I noticed The Best American Non-required Reading 2008 for just $4. It was one of those books that I'd always wanted to buy, but hadn't gotten around to. I snatched it up and continued browsing. Then I noticed boxes lining the wall next to bargain books. Boxes full of books for $4. I knew that it was meant to be; I immediately starting grabbing at paperbacks that I'd been meaning to read and others that I'd never heard of. It was euphoria...it was overwhelming...it was really started to hurt my arms. I was carrying so many books that I appealed to my mother. "I...I don't know what to do! I don't know what to put back!" I cried, bending forward to show her my load. "Well, I guess we have to buy them all," she said simply.

Two days later, I returned alone. I was less brave on my own, cautious while browsing the boxes and shelves. Will I really read this? I'd ask myself. Do I really need another copy of this just because I like the cover? I narrowed my stack to four "must-haves" and headed to the checkout.

The List (in no particular order)
Towelhead - Alicia Erian
Q&A - Vikas Swarup
Jane Austen Book Club - Karen Joy Fowler
Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict - Laurie Rigler (figured I'd stick with the Jane Austen Theme)
Best American Non-required Reading 2003 - ed. Dave Eggers
Best American Non-required Reading 2006 - ed. Dave Eggers
Best American Non-required Reading 2008 - ed. Dave Eggers
The Short Stories - Ernest Hemingway
The Beautiful Miscellaneous - Dominic Smith
Everything Bad is Good for You - Steven Johnson
Who the Hell is Pansy O'Hara? The Fascinating Stories Behind 50 of the World's Best-Loved Books
- Jenny Bond and Chris Sheedy
Miracle at St. Anna - James McBride
God is Dead
- Ron Currie, Jr.
Overheard in New York - S. Morgan Friedman and Michael Malice
The Life Before Her Eyes - Laura Kasischke
The Book of Lost Things - John Connelly


I never did find that book for my dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment