Thursday, October 15, 2009

It's Hard Out Here for a Semi-Conservative Pimp

As a female in the month of October, I'm faced with an age-old question: slutty bumblebee or slutty nurse? Halloween is looming and I feel as though I've exhausted all of my creative costume ideas:
Vending Machine - X
Teen Girl Squad - X
Lamp - X
Quailman - X
Chewed Gum - X
A Picnic - X
My own myspace - X

Unfortunately, Halloween USA doesn't afford many options for a girl who DOESN'T want to scream, "fuck me" with her costume. A simple Google search for "women's Halloween costume," gave me the following:

I guess I have to give props to the costume industry; they've somehow made it possible for a girl to dress as a slutty anything: every character from the Wizard of Oz, a referee, a police officer, a mail carrier, any Disney princess, an insect. One can even show off the girls at Hogwarts in a low-cut Hermione Granger costume! But what about the girls like me, who'd rather show off their books than boobs? who prefer Star Wars to short skirts? I'm not saying that I'll be dressing up as a nun for Halloween, but I wish that I could strike a happy medium. Is funny and flirty possible? Or is my choice really between Officer Sexy and wearing a black garbage bag to parties? I don't foresee the costume company execs becoming feminists any time soon, but hopefully I'll have a few more options in the future. After all, dressing as a bee doesn't seem too practical...where would I put my stinger?

2 comments:

  1. I loved this! It's all so true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. a nun would be awesome, though.
    last year, i was pocahontas and the skirt was really short, so i agree with what you're saying, although i wore legging so it wasn't so slutty.

    this year, i'm going as richie tenenbaum. :)

    ReplyDelete