Saturday, September 4, 2010

Summer's Out For School

Sometimes it feels like the older I get, the less magical summer becomes. As a kid, summer meant scraped knees and street hockey, juice boxes and cartoons, sidewalk chalk and swimming pools. Years passed and I became a teenager. Summer was freedom, breaking the rules, staying out all night and sleeping all day. Summer was my first kiss, driving with the windows down and music up, making waves in the air, stargazing, and being (not feeling, BEING) completely invincible. But as time goes by, these symbols of childhood and freedom have faded, if not disappeared completely. Sure, I had a juice box last week, but it didn't mean what it used to. I've driven with the windows down hundreds of times, but the same songs don't make me cry and scream anymore. I'm twenty-one years old and I'm afraid that I've lost something irreplaceable. Don't get me wrong, I had an incredible summer. I spent time with old and new friends, enjoyed days with my amazing boyfriend, acted silly and spontaneous, but the back of my mind always had a place reserved for the real world. Job applications. Graduate school. Moving out. Now these issues have come to a head. I'm worried about my life. And I'm afraid that my summer has long been over.

No comments:

Post a Comment